Having a game plan to get the ball safely on the green from 20 – 40 – 60 yards can be challenging. Try this practice drill to simplify your mindset and improve your decision making:
- Use only your pitching wedge and drop 10 balls at each distance of 20 – 40 – 60 yards from your target green.
- Remember to spot the area on the green or approach to the green where you want the ball to land.
- Rehearse a practice swing to feel the correct length of backswing for the shot.
- Relax those arms and trust the feel in this shot.
- Go ahead and hit your 10 shots using the same routine every time. Watch the ball land and make sure you rotate at the finished swing position so your belt buckle faces your target!
- Do this drill on all three yardages with the same club and you should develop confidence knowing that the only thing that changes is your backswing gets a little longer and your stance may widen a little bit the farther away you are.
Learn this drill, practice this drill, and go execute on the course. Trust it! The feel will come and bring confidence when you need it!
PGA Head Golf Professional/Director of Player Development
Awbrey Glen Golf Club 2500 Awbrey Glen Drive
Bend, Oregon 97701